Whether you follow a gluten-free diet, embrace a plant-based lifestyle, or simply appreciate a delectable slice of banana bread, this recipe is sure to hit the spot. So, preheat your oven, gather your ingredients, and let's dive into the world of guilt-free indulgence! This delightful creation combines the natural sweetness of ripe bananas with the lusciousness of cocoa and the nuttiness of almond flour, resulting in a dessert that's as satisfying as it is wholesome.
212g ripe bananas
70g almond flour
60g coconut sugar
15g vinegar (white or apple cider vinegar works)
130g plant-based milk (almond milk, soy milk, etc.)
1 tsp vanilla extract
5g baking soda
5g baking powder
123g oat flour or gluten-free flour blend (or regular flour if not gluten-sensitive)
15g cacao powder or reishi & chaga medicinal mushrooms
1. Preheat Your Oven: Start by preheating your oven to 175°C
2. Prepare the Bananas: Peel the ripe bananas and place them in a mixing bowl. Using a fork, smash the bananas. Add the almond flour to the mashed bananas and mix thoroughly until well combined.
3. Combine Dry Ingredients: In a separate bowl, gather your dry ingredients. Mix it together until they are well incorporated. Set this bowl aside for now.
4. Blend the Wet Ingredients: In a blender, combine your wet ingredients. This includes the creamy mixture until it becomes smooth and creamy.
5. Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients: Pour the blended wet ingredients from the blender into the mixing bowl with the banana and almond flour mixture. Stir the contents together until everything is thoroughly combined. Now, add rest of the dry ingredients and stir it but try not to over mix it.
7. Optional: Add Dried Fruits/ Nuts: If you desire some added flavour and texture, this is the time to fold in dried fruits or any other mix-ins you prefer. Mix them evenly into the batter.
8. Transfer to Pan: Pour the batter into a pan that has been lined with baking paper. Ensure that it's spread out evenly. Place sliced bananas on the top.
9. Bake: Place the pan into the preheated oven and bake for approximately 35-45 minutes. Check by inserting a toothpick into the centre of the loaf. It should come out clean when the bread is fully baked.
10. Cool and Slice: Once your banana bread is done baking, remove it from the oven. Let it cool it on the cooling wrack before slicing and serving.
Use ripe bananas with brown spots for the best flavour. They are sweeter and mash more easily, adding natural sweetness to your bread without adding more sugar.
Choose your favourite plant-based milk like almond, soy, oat, or coconut to replace dairy milk in your recipe
Once you combine wet and dry ingredients, mix just until they are incorporated. Overmixing can lead to a denser texture.
Cinnamon and nutmeg are classic spices to enhance the flavour of your vegan banana bread. A pinch of cardamom or ginger can also be delightful.
Customize your banana bread with add-ins like chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or dried fruits for extra texture and flavour.
If you're going to use a gluten-free flour blend then add xanthan gum (usually 1/2 teaspoon per cup of gluten-free flour) to help with binding.
Store leftover vegan banana bread in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days. For longer storage, wrap it well and freeze slices for up to three months.
Don't be afraid to experiment with flavors and ingredients. You can add lemon zest, grated carrots, or even swirl in a layer of nut butter for a unique twist.